Originally posted on the old site on August 18/2008
After I had finished my husbands socks there was still some yarn left over, just enough to make a pair of baby spiral socks.
As spiral socks are very stretchy and babies grow so fast, I decided to make the socks big enough for a bigger baby (up to 20 lbs), but they should also fit a newborn. So I had to make them long enough for the bigger baby, for the smaller baby there will just be a big cuff as you can see on my model, a doll that is even smaller than a newborn.
- about 10 gr wool per sock
- 4 double pointed needles
- darning needle
- gauge: 28 stitches = 4 inches (10 cm) on 3.25 mm (U.S. 3) needles
2 knit, 3 purl for 3 rows and then offset either to the left or right by one stitch so that it will go like this: 1 knit, 2 purl, 2 knit, 2 purl.
- cast on 32 stitches very loosely divided over 3 needles (10 stitches, 12 stitches, 10 stitches)
- knit ribbing pattern: 1 knit, 1 purl for 10 rows
- switch to spiral pattern:
- 1st row of pattern: 2 knit, 2 purl – repeat to end of row
- 2nd and 3rd rows same as 1st row
- 4th row of pattern: 1 knit, *1 purl, 2 knit* – repeat to end of row
- 5th and 6th row same as 4th row
- 6th row of pattern: 2 purl, 2 knit – repeat to end of row
- 7th and 8th row: same as 6th row
- 9th row of pattern: 1 purl, *2 knit, 2 purl* – repeat to end of row
- 10th and 11th row – same as 9th row
- repeat these rows until the socks measures about 6 inches including the cuff
- Toes: the toes are finished in knit stitch, it is easier to keep track of things
- *knit 3 stitches, decrease 2 stitches by knitting them together* – repeat to end of row
- knit 3 rows in knit stitch
- *knit 2 stitches, decrease 2 stitches by knitting them together* – repeat to end of row
- knit 2 rows in knit stitch
- *knit 1 stitch, decrease 2 stitches by knitting them together* – repeat to end of row
- knit 1 rows in knit stitch
- now knit 2 stitches together to the end of the row
- cut the thread leaving a long tail
- Finishing the socks:
- darn in the wool ends from both the toes and the cuff. You are done.