I use the same dough to make pizza and pitas. I found the recipe a long time ago in a magazine.
- heat in microwave for 1 minute.
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP sugar
- 1 TBSP dry yeast
- 1 TBSP oil
- Place salt, sugar, yeast and oil in foodprocessor and add luke warm water and 1 cup of the flour and process to mix
- Now add another cup flour and mix. Keep on adding flour until they dough doesn’t stick to the blade any longer.
- Remove from food processor bowl and place in a greased bowl and let rise for 1 hour in a warm place. (I usually put it in the microwave for 11 seconds and leave it in there)
Baking the Pizza
I found two ways of baking the pizza, both ways make delicious pizza.
|Baking the Pizza
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 375°F
- After dough has risen, punch down and knead to get all the air out.
- Roll out on a flour board and transfer to pizza pan.
- Spread pizza sauce on dough.
- Place toppings on top of pizza sauce.
- Cover with mozzarella chesse.
- Put in the middle of the oven for about 18 minutes or until cheese bubbles.
|Baking the Pizza
- After pizza is assembled place in cold oven on bottom rung.
- Turn on oven to 500°F
- Bake for about 18 minutes or until cheese bubbles. (For this version I use a pizza pan that has little holes in it all over).
Making pita bread is quite easy and the result is soooo much better than what you can buy in stores.
4 unglazed ceramic tiles
a small wooden board (piece of plywood will do)
- Divide dough into 8 parts and roll into balls.
- Roll out each ball to about 8 inches and place on floured board.
- Let rise for about ½ hour.
- Preheat oven to 500°F (I place 4 brown, unglazed ceramic tiles on the buttom rung as baking sheet).
- Carefully transfer 4 pitas on piece of plywood to the oven and watch them rise and balloon. After about 5 minutes they are slightly browned and won’t balloon up any longer. Immediately remove them from the oven.
- Place on a board or plate and cover with waxpaper a kitchen towel. (When they come out of the oven they are quite hard, this will soften them).
- Put second batch in oven.