Here is a simple test you can do yourself:
- Take two containers and put your garden soil in it to test
- Add ½ cup of vinegar to one container and stir
- If it fizzes our soil is alkaline
- Add ½ cup plain water to the second container and stir
- Next add ½ cup baking soda and stir
- If it fizzes you have acidic soil
If neither of the containers has a reaction you soil is somewhat PH balanced.
Now that you have determined if your soil is acidic or alkaline, you can slowly make the necessary adjustments to the soil PH level. It takes time to change the soil PH levels so it is best to make gradual adjustments.
- If your soil is acidic you can use wood ash or lime to make it more alkaline.
- If your soil is alkaline you can use pine needles to make it more acidic.
Let me know if you found this information helpful and write a comment.